“Hungry Town” and “Fish Towne” were some of the early names for Beaufort, North Carolina. That was over 300 years ago. Many changes have taken place since that time in our history.
Today, Beaufort possesses an old-world, southern charm, steeped in maritime history and the adventure brought by its proximity to the Atlantic Ocean.
With world-famous fishing, North Carolina's Crystal Coast is famous for its local seafood. Beaufort is no exception. But, the sea is only where our cuisine starts in our historic seaport.
Boats dot the waterfront, from private yachts and massive sailboats to trawlers bringing locally owned restaurants “fresh from the docks” sea fare.
Cozy inns line the harbor, inspiring Nicholas Sparks to set several of his novels in Beaufort, including The Choice and A Walk to Remember.
Plan a trip to Beaufort, North Carolina where you'll find whimsical shops, casual to world-class dining and overnight accommodations in our historic inns and B&B's.
Beaufort offers a number of events throughout the year.
Beaufort, Carolina has received many accolades:
- In 2014, Travel + Leisure magazine named Beaufort "America's Favorite Town."
- Beaufort was ranked as the "Coolest Small Town in America" by readers of Budget Travel magazine.
- Yachting magazine named Beaufort, the "Best Yachting Town 2012."
- In September 2014, Beaufort was featured as USA Today’s Charming small towns of the South.
- Beaufort was ranked in the Top 20, ‘America's Quirkiest Towns,’ by Travel + Leisure magazine in September 2014.
- Travel + Leisure magazine ranked Beaufort #2 as "America's Most Romantic Town" in January 2014.
"- America's 10 Most Beautiful Hidden Gems" by Budget Travel magazine, April 2013.
- Beaufort was also named one of the "10 Great Coastal Boardwalks" by Coastal Living magazine.